Suddrirha Bharat Abhiyan
The objective of the initiative is to facilitate the development of a complete and sustainable approach for eliminating every preventable and treatable incidence of malnutrition among children below the age of five years adolescent girls, mothers (both pregnant and lactating) in Palghar district, leading to a scalable and replicable model for the country.
With all these objectives, JSW Foundation approached Indev Consultancy Pvt Ltd as a potential technical & implementing partner to work on Suddrirha Bharat Program.
The solution is developed using an open-source platform so that it is affordable and adaptable to the changing needs. The whole system is developed as per the WHO standards with features like:
- Location Tracking:With the help of the GPS feature, the mobile device captures the location of data collection. This ensures authenticity in the data collections.
- Multi-use and Multi-Lingual Integration: One mobile phone can be used to collect data from more than one Aaganwadi or similar other field workers. The mobile device also supports easy multi-lingual integration which enables this application to be used in Marathi.
- Image Integration: Another major advantage is that the mobile device provides the functionality for capturing photos to ensure authenticity. The field workers click the pictures of the place of visit and services provided as well as of the monitored person.
- Temporary offline storage:A mobile device can store the data locally in the mobile storage when it is not connected to the internet. This locally stored data can be synchronized and transferred to the server as soon as the Internet is available. So the mobile turns out to be a robust tool for data collection and synchronization.
SBA project is based on a real-time growth monitoring method. It is backed by a mobile application and server-based MIS software. Yashoda's uses the app to record all monitoring parameters, and the whole of the processes involved are totally paperless and all the data is synchronized on the cloud-based server.
Since all the data is stored on a cloud-based server the historical data can be viewed in a customized format. As of now, around 721000 monitoring sessions have held in the time span of the last four years. The monitoring history of all the children is downloaded into mobile by Yashodas before the field visit. This helps them to provide appropriate Behavior Change Communication (BCC) during the visit. The other highlights of the project are as below:
- The system is equipped with an SMS gateway and it sends SMS alerts about children with critical conditions to government officials.
- The system is capable of capturing GPS coordinates at the time of monitoring and it is compulsory to take photos. This brings transparency in data collection and ensures the authenticity of the data.
- The system consists of a map functionality that helps the project officials to single out villages requiring urgent attention.
- SBA project does not focus only on children, but it also covers pregnant women by interacting with them and sensitizing them by providing health advice.
- SBA project also covers adolescent girls so that they are aware of hygiene and good practices. Yashoda also visits Ashram Schools to deliver BCC messages to adolescent girls.
The SBA project is currently fully functional in Jawhar, Vikramgad, Mokhada, Wada, kasaa, and Talasari talukas of Palghar district. The below table shows the year-wise registration of the number of beneficiaries into the SBA app.